Saturday, 8 April 2017

Why I Think Abortion Should Be Legalised In Ireland

Hey!
I have recognised that this is a large can of worms I am opening but I feel like I should give you my opinion on this matter. I don't care if you are pro-choice or pro-life but please be aware when you are making comments or arguing with someone that has a different opinion to you. Words do hurt and it happened to me when I tweeted something and I got a nasty reply. Please be conscious of other people's feelings and try not to be nasty with each other, we need to fill this world with love not hate.

As you have probably guessed from this I am pro-choice, I believe women should be able to have the option of abortion if they need it. Personally, I probably wouldn't do it myself but I don't think it should be illegal. In Ireland, it is illegal to have an abortion and if you are convicted you can get put in jail for up to 14 years, that's more than for rape!

More Jobs

For many years now since the recession started, there has been a huge emphasis on employment and new employment opportunities coming to Ireland. If abortion was to be legalised, there would be new jobs which is never a bad thing.

11 Women A Week Go To The UK

I hate when people say 'we are saving so many lives by abortion being illegal' and that's not true at all. 11 women a week, nearly 600 women a year go over seas to the UK to have an abortion. It is daunting going to a different country because you can't get a treatment in your own country. Last August, two women used Twitter to share their experience of travelling over to England to get an abortion. As you can imagine, this is the Internet and they got huge backlash for it but I believe it highlights what women went through to get a safe abortion

For Women's Health

In 2012, Salvita Halappanavar died due to a septic miscarriage that she couldn't terminate. She would be alive today if she had the option to terminate the already stillborn baby. Shouldn't a person that is already alive matter more than someone that isn't.

Also regarding to mental health, what happens if someone becomes emotionally unstable due to a pregnancy and might take her life as she mightn't be able to take care of the child or survive the pregnancy. Why are you so worried about the unborn child that you completely forget about the carrier and let her life be destroyed.

Less Risk Involved

Unsafe abortions do happen and they aren't pretty. More times than not it can put the person in even more danger. When people are restricted they are more likely to try and get the job done by going to unsafe and unqualified 'clinics' that may cause more harm than good. If abortion was available, it would be safe and women wouldn't have to endanger themselves in the process.

There Needs To Be Options

It is like drinking tea or coffee, you can choose to drink both, one or the other and if you don't want it you don't have to have it. If you need an abortion go have one but if that is not your thing then don't, simple as. It's not a one way conveyor belt where everyone has to make the same choices, you do you and whatever that is as long as you are happy and safe go for it.

Not All Cases Are The Same

All cases are different and no one decides to have an abortion for the bants and the LOLs. It is a serious thing to think about and obviously women who want one have a very good reason if it's due to rape, incest, fetal abnormalities, financial issues, drug addiction, health issues, the list goes on.

I know this is a heavy topic but it needs to be talked about. If you want anymore information check out Repeal Chain and Strike 4 Repeal.

Thanks for being awesome,


6 comments:

  1. I agree with you on all these points, I even attended the repeal march not long ago, I wish there was more we could do to support women going through it xx

    - Eternalleigh.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Leigh! I 100% agree with you, I wish I could have been at the march but I had school and I couldn't travel up to Dublin.

      Delete
  2. I am so happy and inspired to see you right this post! I am 100% in support of Repealing the 8th. It's not stopping abortion, it's forcing women to travel for an abortion or use extreme measures to self inflict an abortion. Like you said, you don't have to like the coffee for it to be on the menu. I wrote a post on this a few months back explaining why i am in support of this. It's something i feel so strongly about and cannot believe we still have NOT had a vote to repeal it! So thank you so much for writing this. We need more people to understand that pro choose is not anti life!

    http://ivoryclouds.blogspot.ie/2016/10/repeal-eighth.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting Marian! I think everyone needs to understand both sides of the argument before fighting with others over it. I am going to read your post.

      Delete
  3. I agree with all of these points too! Women should have the right to chose as it's their body and another person should not be making that decision for them. This was a really interesting and well written post. -Alice
    alicejlorna.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting Alice!

      Delete