Saturday, 30 January 2016

My New Sport: Kickboxing

Hey!
As I have mentioned in more than one post, I have been doing kickboxing since the start of September. I didn't want to do one of these posts until after a few months of it because I find for a few weeks I will like something just because its new and then I realise it is not for me. I didn't want to write about how much I enjoyed it, to say a month or two later that I gave it up because I found it boring. Thankfully I still love it from when I started (which was the day before my Junior Cert results, that feels like years ago). I started kickboxing because I needed to do a physical activity for my Gaisce award and also I really wanted to learn how to do self defence because I know I'll need it in the future.


I do 2 classes a week, one on Tuesdays and one on Fridays, for around an hour and a half. It is normally quite an intensive class, but that can vary depending on if we are doing cardio, sparring, kicks, punches, movement or self defense.

At the moment, I am getting ready to do my grading for my white belt (1st belt) at the start of February, for this I had to do a self defence class and train regularly for 3 months, which I have done. On the day of the grading as well as drills (if you can call them that) I have to:
Run half a mile 
20 push ups
20 sit ups
20 tricep dips
Skip for one 2 minute round
It doesn't seem that much but from what I have heard, they are easy to do by themselves but once you have to do them with all the other drills you are to do it can be harder.



Gear is important in kickboxing because you could easily break something if you are not wearing your gear. I have wraps, gloves, boots and gumshields. The gumshields are used for fighting but I haven't done very much of that yet because I don't feel confident enough but I hope to do a bit more as the year goes on. The boots have no soles which is slightly odd but it is definitely more comfortable that way.


My fitness has 100% improved, from doing little to no exercise, now its between 2-4 times a week. I have become more flexible as well which is a good thing because I have never been flexible. 

This is what my wraps look like on!

I didn't start this for weight loss but I think it is helping me maintain my weight and sometimes losing a little. This part isn't that important to me because I am happy enough in myself at the moment.

Overall I really enjoy it and I hope to do it for as long as I can.

Is there anything you would like to know about kickboxing?
See you,

4 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to do kickboxing. I'm currently in between seasons for sports so I need to get active, so maybe I'll take a class. Keep up the good work!

    thisfashiongirl.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christina! I definitely recommend to try it out.

      Delete
  2. Loved this post <3 It's so good that you've found a new interest to enjoy - I'm still looking for my second passion! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Frances! Keep looking for your second passion, you'll find it soon.

      Delete