Thursday, 29 October 2015

TY Thursdays #5 Bogathon, Live Life, & Business Expo

Hey!
A lot of things have happened over the past few weeks since the last TY Thursday and since I have a Halloween midterm, I thought I would tell you whats been going on!

Live Life Talk


If you don't live in Ireland you may not have heard of this story. In 2013, Donal Walsh, a 16 year old wrote a letter to the editor in the Irish Independent talking about how pointless it was for young people to kill themselves when they have their whole lives ahead of them but he didn't have this luxury as he had terminal cancer. He than started talking out about it and also his life with cancer. 

His father Fionnbar Walsh came to talk to 6th years and TYs about his son and the charity Donal Walsh Live Life Foundation. It was very interesting but really sad as I remember when RTÉ had made a documentary about Donal and I cried through parts of it. His message was live your life and if you need help, get help.

Driving Theory Test


In Ireland, you have to be 16 before you can do your theory test, so I did it last Saturday and I PASSED!!!! I was so happy as I thought I had failed it (you have to have at least 35/40 questions right to pass). The only thing is I'll have to wait until next April (that's when I turn 17) to get my learners permit but I don't really mind as I'm really busy doing other things but I'm nearly on the way there!

Bogathon


This was a 7km obstacle course through a forest and a bog and is supposed to be a team building sort of thing. I really enjoy things like this as there are various obstacles you have to go over, under, through and around. I would not recommend jumping into a bog hole as I did that and I got stuck and had to be dragged out of it by 2 guys in my year. The only thing that wasn't the best was that you got absolutely covered in muck and trying to wash that off (ugh!) especially when it gets in your hair but all and all it was so enjoyable and I would definitely do it again!

Business Expo


My school were holding a business expo and they asked TY mini companies to take a table or two at the school stall. I decided to do it and I'm so glad I did as it was a great learning experience and I got a few orders for what I am selling. I'll go into more detail at the end of this post. A dew teachers were even at the expo with their kids which was weird as personally you think teachers are teachers and not parents. The day was kinda long (11am-3pm) but I knew everyone on the school stand.


Also, I was fortunate to win  hamper from Oriflame Sweden. I'm going to do a first impressions/ review on all the products I got in on 14th November (as I still haven't tried everything out yet). 

Work Experience


I have finished my work experience with a local graphic design and printers company. I really enjoyed it and I was kinda sad to be leaving the last time as all the people they were so kind to me and nothing was a problem also I got to try out tasks that graphic designers actually do. Even if I don't go down this road in the future I think it will help me when I'm designing posters, projects etc. as I learned about the importance of not putting things too close to the edge. I think it will also help since I will be one of the editors of the yearbook (that company actually prints the yearbook) and I got to create a logo and business card for my mini company!


Halloween Dress Up


Every year since the school I go to has been open, the day before we finish up for Halloween everyone (well nearly everyone) dress up, including the teachers. It is that one day of the year where everyone goes slightly mad and comes in, in character. There are also prizes for the best costumes, somebody dressed up as Joy from Inside Out, my friend Isabelle dressed up as a Starbucks cup and someone even dressed up as one of the teachers! I decided to dress up as a CSI agent and went sneaking around the school for mot of the day. It was an easy costume as my dad has an old CSI jumper he got and then I wore jeans and boots, I had a gun and a warrant as well just to add more realism to the outfit.

CSI Ró and my Starbucks 

Bogathon

This was a 7km obstacle course through a forest and a bog and is supposed to be a team building sort of thing. I really enjoy things like this as there are various obstacles you have to go over, under, through and around. I would not recommend jumping into a bog hole as I did that and I got stuck and had to be dragged out of it by 2 guys in my year. The only thing that wasn't the best was that you got absolutely covered in muck and trying to wash that off (ugh!) especially when it gets in your hair but all and all it was so enjoyable and I would definitely do it again!

Profolio



This year for TY students, we have to have a profolio with everything that we have done this year in it. So far mine is jam packed with stuff like evaluation sheets (I have to do one of them up on anything that is done, I hate them!), work experience diary, print outs from work experience, samples from different subjects and ticket stubs. I think I may have to upgrade to a bigger folder as I have my one half full already.


 Here are some photos of things I have in it:
This is a mock up of my art portrait.

One of the recipes I used in Home Ec

Mini Company


Another aspect of TY is the mini company. I share a mini company with two girls from my class called K C K Creations. We are making wooden decorations. I think it is a great learning experience as I didn't do business for Junior Cert (which I regret) and I just think it is cool the way it is practical instead of reading about it from a book. So far it is going well. Here is the business card we have:

KCK Creations business card and sample of business card.
All I can say is I'm busy, busy, busy!
See you,

No comments:

Post a Comment