Saturday, 9 May 2015

Skincare Ingredients 101 Propylene Glycol



Hello Fabulous Internet,
I have been thinking about doing this for a while now but I haven't had the chance until now. A lot of the time when you look at the ingredients list of any skincare or beauty products, you may only know what 2 or 3 ingredients are out of a list of 20 or so. To broaden my knowledge and yours, I have decided to do this series (I'll try to do one once a month,) which is to tell you about an ingredient. I will try to do a mixture of ingredients to avoid and what ones you should try to have in skincare products. I will try my best to make everything as easy to understand. I will leave all of the sources of information at the bottom of the blog posts if you want to get extra information on it.  
I am not a dermatologist, this is research I have been doing on the Internet.

Propylene Glycol
Propylene Glycol can be found in makeup and some skincare products. PG comes from propylene, which is a chemical produced as a side effect of petroleum refining. So you are basically rubbing a byproduct of petrol into your face. It is considered 'non- toxic' even though on goodguide.com it is a medium health concern
PG can be used as an emulsifier (which helps keep the mixture combined) and a humectant (helps keep in and attract moisture). 

The reason it is used is because it is cheaper than other emulsifiers and humectants. It makes your skin look soft and smooth but over time it can dry out your skin and making it look dull.

There hasn't been any studies on the long term effects of using PG but hopefully there will be some in a few years. It is recommended to try and avoid Propylene Glycol whenever possible because it can cause rashes and skin damage.

Products That Contain Propylene Glycol
St. Ives Invigorating Apricot Facial Scrub 
Neutrogena Visibly Clear Pink Grapefruit Facial Wash
Cetaphil Moisturising Cream
Covergirl Lash Exact
Rimmel Fix & Protect Pro Primer
Garnier Moisture Match 
Maybelline Dream Fresh BB Cream 

Thanks for reading.
See you,


More Information
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/curlchemist-the-truth-and-fiction-about-propylene-glycol/
http://www.annmariegianni.com/ingredient-watch-list-propylene-glycol%E2%80%94it-
penetrates-skin-only-to-dry-it-out/
http://www.goodguide.com/ingredients/37423-propylene-glycol-ingredient-information-reviews

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Ro! Luckily I currently don't use any of these products, but I used to use the Neutrogena Visibly Clear Pink Grapefruit Facial Wash. Never again! Looking forward to your next post. :)

    http://guiliannamarie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Guillianna, I used to use the Neutrogena Visibly Clear Pink Grapefruit Facial Wash also but when I realised what some of the ingredients were, I stopped using it

      Delete